Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Katie's Breakfast Casserole

I made this for Easter morning brunch.
It was so good.
I kinda just made this up. I remember reading parts of this from other recipes.
The cheese sauce is something my Mom has been making for years.
I just decided to try them together.





Katie’s Breakfast Casserole with Cheese Sauce

Preheat oven to 375

12 eggs
4 boiled, peeled and diced red potatoes (I browned the potatoes in a skillet with some oil to get them crispy, totally optional)
2 cups shredded cheese
I package bacon; cooked and crumbled or Ham cubed
3 whole green onions; sliced (optional)
1 tsp salt
½ tsp onion salt
½ tsp pepper

In a bowl crack open eggs and beat eggs.
Add 1 cup cheese, Bacon or ham, onions, salt, pepper, and onion salt and mix well.
In a 13x9 casserole dish add potatoes.
Pour egg mixture over potatoes.
Sprinkle 1 cup cheese over top.
Bake 30 to 40 minutes (test it with a fork to make sure it is done int he middle)


* you can add red peppers for more color



Cheese Sauce

½ cube margarine
½ cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ cups shredded cheese
1 ½ cup

In a medium pot melt butter.
Add flour and mix into a smooth paste.
Add 1 ½ cups milk
Use wire whisk and stir until a nice thick consistancy. (add more milk if it is too thick)
Add cheese and mix until cheese is melted Salt and pepper to taste
Pour over each serving.


(you can add some chillies to give it a different flavor)


Please let me know if you try it and like it.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

The Petty Family said...

Wow Katie...making up your own recipes...I could NEVER do that! Thanks for sharing! My kids would never eat this, but now I have a recipe if I ever get invited to a brunch type thing. Did I ever tell you that your recipes saved me. We started a recipe exchange in my ward and because I'm not a cook, I would go to your blog and share your recipes. Don't worry, I didn't try and pass them off as mine, I ALWAYS put your name under the recipe title. So thank you again for sharing!!

Katie said...

Any time Elizabeth, Anytime.