Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Linda's Lovely Lemon Bars

Trust me.
These are lovely.
They melt in your mouth and have now become my very favoritest dessert.
And they are so easy to make.
I will never, ever, ever buy the box at the store.

Linda's Lovely Lemon Bars
Crust:
1 cup Margarine (softened)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Mix well and pat into 13x9 inch cake pan. (Mix will be crumbly at first)
Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes (18 minutes is good)
In a bowl beat
4 eggs
Add: (slowly until well mixed)
2 cups sugar
8 tbsp flour
1/2 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed is recommended)
Pour on top of hot crust and bake for 25 minutes.
Sprinkle top with Powdered sugar.
Let cool completely.
(it is very good warm, too.)

I don't have to tell you to enjoy because I know you will.
You can thank me later.

I did get permission from My mother-in-law Linda Bigney to put this recipe on the blog. I got the recipe from her. A cook book she gave me when I got married.

6 comments:

The Petty Family said...

Mmmmm! SERIOUSLY!! I wish I lived closer to you!! Then I'd just invite myself over to eat all the delicious treats you make :)

Katie said...

I need to stop baking. I am going to get fatter than I already am.
It is my new passion.

Nancy H. said...

I am making them right now. I have made them before but they didn't turn out as good as the box mix so that is what I usually used. Lemon is Scott's favorite flavor. Just yesterday he was saying that we should make some lemon bars. And wa-la! I logged onto your blog and found this. For the crust you didn't say if the butter was melted or softened. I melted it because that is what you do for a graham cracker crust.

Nancy H. said...

DUH!!! You said the crust would be crumbly; that would mean softened butter NOT melted. Oh well, too late now. Wish me luck!

Katie said...

Sorry nancy.
I will edit it to make sure.
Let me know if how it turned out.

Nancy H. said...

The crust with melted butter was fine. It melts in the oven anyway. We tasted them at room temperature and thought it was too sweet and not tart enough. We let them get cold in the fridge and then the lemon taste came out better. So we just keep them cold. We had more lemons so after the first batch was gone Scott made more but he followed a recipe from allrecipes.com that was exactly like yours except that it called for 3/4 cup lemon juice and some baking powder. These were more tart and had a stronger lemon flavor. We still eat them cold. Thanks for restoring my confidence in making them from scratch. Now I know I don't need a mix anymore.