Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tasty Tuesday: Chicken Divan

This I made from a recipe I received from my mother-in-law.
She was asked to fill out a recipe card at my bridal shower.
She told me it was on of Jeff's favorite dishes.
I have made it at least once a month for 14 and 1/2 years.
I have never made it any other way.

Chicken Divan
4 chicken breast cooked and cubed.
1 package frozen broccoli
1 can chicken broth
2 cups cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup canned milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Serve with cooked rice.

Cook and cube chicken add to a 13x 9 casserole dish
Preheat oven to 350.
Cook frozen broccoli and add to 13x9 casserole dish on top of chicken chunks.
Sauce:
Melt butter or margarine in medium sauce pan.
Add flour mix until a paste forms.
Let cook 30 seconds.
Add Chicken broth and whisk until sauce thickens.
Add canned milk and stir until sauce thickens again.
Add cheese and pepper and salt.
Stir until completely mix. Remove from heat.
Pour sauce in the 13x9 casserole dish over chicken and Broccoli.
Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Start rice in Rice Cooker.
Just as the Chicken Divan comes out of the oven, your rice should be just about done.

Most of my boys will eat this.
All of them eat the rice. Sometimes I add a few chicken patties to the oven with the Chicken Divan.
They all get done at the same time. I also serve a can of fruit. And maybe a salad.
Have you ever made this with Mayo?
I would love to see that recipe.
This is sounding so good!
I think this will go on the menu this week.
YUM-MY!!

3 comments:

tylersgirl said...

I like it better with carrots added in.

Danielle said...

this is one of our families favs too

T.M. said...

I love Chicken Divan!!!