Thursday, May 6, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - White Sauce Chicken Enchilada's and Spanish Rice

I know it is Thursday, but I didn't get pictures (Jeff did it for me), until late that day, and it being Jeff's day off I try not to spend much time on the computer. (unless he is busy with his own thing)
So Yesterday came and went like a flash. I hate those days, I feel like I missed something.
Okay excuses over, here i go.

I LOVE this recipe.
I will never make the red sauce kind ever again. (unless Jeff asks me too.)
I got part of this recipe from a romance book. I know, kinda funny, but she added recipes in her book.
I added my own touches. I hope you try it and like it.



Katie's White Sauce Chicken Enchilada's

Pre-heat oven 375

4 boneless/skinless chicken breast; cooked and diced
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery
½ cup milk
1 half onion; diced
½ can Jalapeño pepper juice
4 pieces of canned Jalapeño peppers; finely chopped
1 one cup sour cream
12 soft taco size flour tortilla or 24 white corn taco size tortillas (corn tortillas slightly cooked in oil)
4 cups shredded cheese - Monterey jack and cheddar
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp onion salt
1 tsp garlic salt

Cut up chicken into small bite size pieces. Place in a bowl and set aside
Mix cream of chicken soup, Jalapeño pepper juice and finely diced pieces, milk and sour cream, pepper, garlic and onion salt together.
In a bowl with chicken add 1 cup of sauce. Mix well.
Add 1 cup sauce to bottom of 13x9 casserole pan.
Hold tortilla in palm of hand, add to the middle of the tortilla 2 table spoons of chicken. Add desired amount of cheese.
Roll up tortilla and place in casserole dish open side down.
Repeat last step to all tortillas.
Pour remaining sauce over the top of the Enchiladas
Add desired amount of cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes


I make a Spanish rice to go with it.

Katie's Spanish Rice (from scratch) This makes A LOT!
1/2 cup oil
3 cups rice
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 onion; diced
1 to 2 cloves of garlic; diced
½ can Jalapeño pepper juice
2 pieces of canned jalapeno peppers whole
1 tsp salt
4 cups cup water

In large pot, heat oil.
Add onion and garlic. Cook until they just start to turn golden.
Add rice. This part you have to stir a lot. (this is when I heat my corn tortilla's)
When rice is light brown and white (no longer opaque) and when rice starts to pop or jump....Add water, tomato sauce, salt, peppers and pepper juice.
Bring it to a boil and cover with lid and turn to low.
Cook 15 to 20 minutes.
Try not to lift lid for at least 15 minutes.

Serve.

My Aunt Kathie taught me how to do it and it took me years to perfect it.
So if it doesnt turn out the first time, try again.
I hope you like my recipes.
I am gonna learn how to make refried beans next.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I too love chicken enchiladas... I have to say though I like red sauce over any others. It's just what I grew up with I guess... makes me think of mom. :) Something I've tried and love to do when I make these though is to cook the chicken in the crock-pot with the onions, a clove or two of garlic and about a Tbsp. of oil. It shreads beautifully and is so tender. Hope you are having a great day!