Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tasty Tuesday: Apple Betty

I have been eating an apple a day.

They are so sweet and Emma loves them.
I went to the store last week with Jeff and got a bunch more apples.
I asked him to get a dozen or so and he said to me, "Someone has to eat all these apples before they go bad."
I said, "I will make Apple Betty!"
He got a huge smile on his face and he started to daydream about the sweet warm yummi-ness of Apple Betty.
Okay, he didn't really stand there and day dream, but the smile said enough and he was okay with me buying a dozen more apples.

To most of you it might be called, Apple Crisp.
But in my house growing up it was Apple Betty.
It is way better than Apple Crisp. Isn't it Elizabeth?
I always double this recipe.
So yummy and perfect for a cool fall day.

So today's recipe is:
Apple Betty

Preheat oven: 350

4 Apples (any kind you like, I like sweet)

1/4 Orange juice

3/4 cup margarine (or butter, I guess? I never tried it with butter.)

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup flour

1/2 quick oats

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/4 pumpkin spice (trust me) if you don't have this use nutmeg

dash of salt

Peel and thinly slice apples. Mound in casserole dish and pour Orange juice over the apples. Mix well. (it keeps the apples from turning brown)

Combine: margarine, flour, sugar, quick oats, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin spice in a medium bowl. Mix with hand mixer until crumbly.

Sprinkle crumbles over Apples.

Bake 45 minutes.

It is the best with Breyers Vanilla Bean Ice cream.

Enjoy.

I also use this recipe with canned peaches for my version of Peach Cobbler.

The only difference is 2 large cans of canned sliced peaches, no orange juice or spices, and I add chopped walnuts.

And I always double it, too!

3 comments:

Kasi said...

I LOVE Apple/Peach crisp. It is a favorite here. I will have to try your recipe.

The Petty Family said...

KATIE!!! That is NOT the recipe I've been using!! Did you change it?? Was I given the wrong one years ago?? My Apple Betty recipe (written on an old post-it note with your (old) and your parents phone numbers on it)doesn't have quick oats and has 1/4 c. less sugar and butter (I always used butter, it works fine). In every other way it's the same! That's what made this recipe different....no oats. I like it that way! I can't believe all these years I've been making the famous "Apple Betty" and it's been wrong. Tell me it's not true! LOL! We may need to get your mom in on this :-D

Katie said...

Elizabeth, i should have noted i added some stuff to the orginal recipe. mostly the oats a margerine.
Sorry about that.
Your recipe is just fine.