Monday, August 10, 2009

4 boys, first broken bone

So Saturday night started out wonderful.
Jeff got overtime, I could make an easy dinner, it was nice and cool.
The boys were playing and then fighting and playing and then fighting....same old same old.
I am resting from over doing it.
Mostly from yelling at the boys for fighting.
As I watched TV, Sammy and Caleb come into the living room SCREAMING!!!!
Caleb has Sammy fingers in his hand. Caleb is screaming and crying hysterically, "I am so sorry Sammy!" (over and over)
I calmly asked what happened.
I do not get an answer...because they are both still screaming.
I take Sammy's hand from Caleb and ...that is when it happens.....
the blood pours down from his finger, down my hand and all over my clothes. (luckily I was wearing my painting clothes)
Nathan than gets hysterical, I have to calmly tell him to knock it off, tell Caleb to stop or I will slap him, and Sammy to calm down.
I check out where the blood is coming from and it is Sammy's middle finger, right at the base of his finger nail.
Sliced all the way across. And it looks like it is half way through the finger.
(Now, If you know me well, I hate the insurance up here. I hate that I have to pay for the 20%.
Growing up with Kaiser and never having to do that and having it all my married life until we moved here it was hard to accept.)
I knew no matter how cheap I was, I would have to take him to the ER,
I can't believe how calm I was through out the whole ordeal.
I wrapped up his finger in a towel, I changed my clothes, and loaded him up in the van.
I knew not to call Jeff. (He was mad at me, but he was working overtime and I knew I could handle this)
I called my Mom, I dunno why, I just do in a crisis. (big or small)
Sammy insisted Nathan come along to "hold his hand"...too cute.
Off we went.
The ER was not too busy. And I am thinking...small town, Susanville ER, this won't take long....
So the wrong night to go.
So busy...a few car accident patients (nothing tragic, just back injuries), a guy who's eyes watered for 2 hours at home and was losing his sight, a one year old with a fever day 3 of 103. A kid with a broken arm, (it looked like a Z when he came in), a lady curled into a ball miscarrying, and 2 inmates brought in from the prison.
I Carly was on the TV, for an hour and a half, I almost pulled out my hair. I can only take 1 episode at a time.
Sammy, stopped crying as soon as we got the the hospital, so he was just hungry.
I always have a purse full of stuff for boys to do and eat, but I was so "calmly" rushed I didn't even grab water. All I had was a $10 bill.
We waited....and waited.
Jeff finally got off work at 10pm and he came right over. Jeff went with Sammy to get X-rayed. And we waited some more.
Just after eleven, we were brought to the back. And we waited some more.
We decided Nathan wasn't needed and Jeff took him home and changed from his work clothes.
We waited.
Just after midnight, the doctor came in and said it was broken. They were gonna clean it and glue it and splint it.
And we waited.
Some of the guys Jeff works with were there and ordered pizza. They were more than happy to share with Sammy, who was very, very happy to have pizza.
They finally cleaned it.
And talk about THE worst ER nurse I have ever met.
She completely ignored any questions Jeff had, like he wasn't there.
We had to remind her what the doctor wanted her to do to Sammy's finger.
Seriously!
I had to ask her to wrap the splint after she put it on.
We waited some more and was so mad when the baby on day 3 of 103 temp, was finally seen at 1am. Poor baby. I would have given up my spot in a heartbeat, if I had known they were gonna make him wait.
Sammy was a trooper.
You know, he never cried the whole time we were there.
We finally left, proudly showed off his very large, now wrapped in white gauze, middle finger he to the guys with the pizza. I thought it was funny, and so did they.
They gave us some Tylenol with Codeine for him to take. We gave him one dose. He really isn't in any pain, but just in case the numbness or shock wore off in the middle of the night.
Sammy was my first boy with a broke bone.
In all my 13 1/2 years of motherhood, he was my first broken bone from the boys. Knock on wood.
(Emma's broken nose was the first)
He has a check up on Wednesday to see how it is healing.
And the twerp is having a hard time keeping on his splint.
Just watch, this new baby boy Bigney joining our family will be the child who gets hurt the most.

No comments: