Friday, May 14, 2010

Flash Back Friday - Before I was a Mom

This is a pictures of me at 20 and I was at a Young Adult Dance....before I was a mom.

Not too long after this picture was taken I met Jeff and my life changed.
I was not able to do all the things I liked to do before.
I sometimes think back to those days.
The simple life.... no, it was not simple.
I have come up with a list of things I do and do not miss about my life before I was a mom.
Before I was a mom...I miss:
  1. getting my nails done
  2. sleeping until noon and sleeping all night.
  3. freedom to go to the movies if I wanted
  4. being skinny
  5. My clothes, with out food or baby barf
  6. being pretty
  7. being self-confident
  8. my car
  9. trips to the beach
  10. naps on Sunday after church
  11. hanging out with friends
  12. reading books all day
  13. mom cooking
  14. sitting through church...ALL OF CHURCH
  15. going to dances
  16. going to the bathroom alone
  17. shopping at the mall

Before I was a mom, I don't miss:

  1. feeling lonely
  2. shopping at the mall
  3. worrying about will I ever get married and have kids
  4. looking at babies and dreaming of someday.....
  5. working a job
  6. going to dances

Okay, that is all I could think of... mostly because I am a mom now and I am too busy to ponder anymore...lol

There are more things I am sure. I do miss my single un-mothered life. But I would miss out on so much more.

I would miss Michael's "George Clooney's" half smile.... and Sammy's shy but happy grin when I tell him I am so proud of him.... Or Caleb's laugh...Or Nathan's goofy dances he does when he is happy...Or Matthew's "I'm taller than you Mom!" Or Emma's sweet funny conversations.

I am so grateful my heavenly Father thought I would make a good Mom. I have serious doubts I am doing well at all. But I will keep trying.

It really isn't that hard, they are easy to love.

3 comments:

The Petty Family said...

Did I happen to be with you at that dance? Most likely...we were ALWAYS together before you went and got married :) I miss some of the "freedoms" pre-mom life held, but just think...someday it will just be us and our husbands...and we'll wonder were the time went!! We'll be GRANDMAS!!! I hope we're still friends when were grandmas :)

Katie said...

Elizabeth, we were friends before we were born. I totally believe so. We will always be friends.
Always.

Danielle said...

hey you have dances on both lists silly - man i bet we went to many of the same dances seeing as i went every weekend it would be cool to know if i ever talked to you back then