Monday, July 6, 2009

I am Blue

No silly, I am not sad.
The last time I was visiting home, my cousin Felisha gave me the color test.
She read this book years ago and decided to "test " me.
The book is called:

"The Color Code" by Taylor Hartman, PH.D.
The cover says " A new way to see yourself, your relationships, and life."
I was curious what the book considered "my color". She briefly explained what to do...well, you are asked about 30 questions..well not questions... just words.
For example.... and you have to think about how you were as a child and now...
"choose one word that best describes you"
#28.
a)__calculating
b)__self righteous
c)__self-deprecating
d)__disorganized


Now as I read some of these out loud, not being able to decide which one was more me, my Aunt Kathie was laughing at some of them. She knew the answer, but did not want to give input. She wanted the answers to come from my opinion of me. Make sense.
After another set of some real questions, she did the calculations and it was decided I was:
Blue/white
This book is fascinating.
This Doctor has traveled all over and doing business retreats to help business partners and many members of companies learn better ways to work with each other by better understanding each other.
He also used this for marriage counseling sessions. Husbands and wives can better understand each other and why they do and say the things they do.
I had Jeff take the test for fun while I was doing my 1 hour sugar/glucose test at my Doctor appointment on Wednesday. He is a White/blue. According to the book, we are compatible.

There are 4 colors: Red, Blue, White and Yellow.

Red's are the Power Wielders: active, productive, insensitive, selfish, demanding, critical, insecure, competitive, determined, resourceful, impatient, and calculating...to name a few.

Blue's are the Do-Gooders: emotional, committed, perfectionistic, highly demanding, self-sacrificing, nurturing, resentful, worried, dedicated, moody, and insecure...to name a few.

Whites are the Peace Makers: peaceful, diplomatic, insecure, dependent, tolerant, patient, kind, lazy, accepting, emotionally unsure, gentle, and stubborn...to name a few.

Yellows are the Fun Lovers - happy, fun, self-centered, uncommitted, irresponsible, carefree, exciting, superficial, impulsive, undisciplined, charismatic, popular, and trusting...to name a few.

So, according the the book, I, as a blue/white, I am considered to be a Do-Gooding Peace maker.

There is positive and negative things about both. As you can tell. I also believe we all have some of the other colors as traits.

Luckily, my good "white" personality balances out my negative "blue" side.
If you want to know more and/or take the test, I would love to test you. If you want the book yourself...sorry, but it is out of print.
But I got my used copy on Amazon.com, with shipping, for less than $8.
Do I agree with the book? Yes.
I can't believe how much of the Blue and White I read that was so me.
I kept saying, "How did he write this book without interviewing me and hit it dead on?"
It has helped me a lot in my self esteem. In a good way.
It has helped me see myself and I see where I need to improve.
It really has helped Jeff and I.
We have been disagreeing a lot lately and I end up thinking, "what is going on in his mind?"
And after I read book, I realized, he isn't doing anything to tick me off on purpose, it is just who he is and how he knows how to communicate.
And it is who I am and how I think differently. I didn't realize it until I read this book.
But I do this.
I have this way of thinking. I think things should be done a certain way. In a way that I think would be more productive or makes simple common sense. And I get frustrated when others don't see it the way I see it should be done. And then I get mad that they aren't doing it the way my brain thinks it should be done. (mostly my kids and Jeff)
My friends, I think that is where my "peace making white" side comes in. My friends mess up or irrated me (hardly ever) and I give them the bennifit of the doubt. I don't make a big deal. I try not to offend. I just accept it. And take it. Even if they hurt my feelings. (hardly ever)
What is super funny, is the friends who have hurt me one too many times, I have a hard time forgiving and forgetting.... "blue side"!!!!!
THIS IS ALL IN THE BOOK!
My poor boys...since I have realized my error, I have tried to improve. I try not explode. I am trying to be more patient.
Jeff clearly can't read my mind so I CAN NOT get mad when he doesn't understand what I need or want done.
So I have changed my way of having a discussion with him and it works. He doesn't feel bossed around and I don't feel frustrated.
It would just be easier if he could read my mind...lol
I love this book.
I highly recommend this book.
If you do know your color or do get the book and test yourself....let me know. I am totally curious.
The other night I was sharing my color with a group of friends and said "I didn't realize how bossy I really am until I read this book?" (a blue trait)
They all up roared with a HUGE laugh....."Yes Katie, we knew that."
They were kinda teasing.
But they are my true friends, so I know they were being nice.
I am trying to balance myself.
I am working on it.

1 comment:

Amy said...

It's been a while since I took the test but I still remember what color I am. i'm sure you don't need me to tell you, but I will any way. I'm White/Blue. If I remember right DH is Red/Yellow. My complete opposite... which I guess helps us balance each other out.