Thursday, July 9, 2009

why oh why, oh why, oh why

I am blogging so I don't sob.
So many "why"s today.
But what really shoved all the other "why"s in my life away is this:
I just came from the bathroom where my 2 youngest boys were taking a bath or lack there of.
Laughing and screaming and have a GRAND time.
I prepare myself to be mean and yell, I know they have flooded the floor because the water is seeping out under the door into the hardwooded hallway.
As I open the door, I notice the youngest (age 6) on the potty, totally naked.
Then the floor, wet sopping towels, the sad attempt at cleaning up the water on the floor.
The toys mixed with the wet dirty clothes they had removed before getting in the tub.
I see the tub, completely empty except for one thing.
I see the shower curtain, not hanging in the normal place it should be above the tub.
No, it was hanging over the form of my 3rd boy. (age 8)
He did not know I was standing in the bathroom with my hands on my hips.
I covered quickly. I did not laugh and run for the camera. I did not scream and yell.
I stood on a pile of wetness in the bathroom dumbfounded.
There was an instant word ringing in my head.
It confused me and was making me freeze as I stared at my son covered by the tan wet shower curtain (with pole and rings) and my other son totally naked on the potty his legs danging not quite touching the floor.
what was the word you ask?

why?
why do they decide to do these things?
why do they think it is okay?
why do they think it is funny?
why do they forget Mom will make them clean it up all by themselves?
why do they forget it makes mom mad?
and why do they not care about the consequences and do it anyway?

Is it really a boy thing?
I know it will happen again.
Why do I let them do it?
Do I have the time to sit by and watch them in the tub? No.
They are old enough to take a bath together and be with out their mother.
Is it worth the mess they make?
yes.
Five minutes of them doing something in another room, and knowing full well they are old enough to clean up what ever mess they make all by themselves, is totally worth it.
I need 5 minutes.
Why you ask?
Because as a mother of 4 boys.
I NEED five minutes without noise and not seeing gross-ness to maintain my sanity a few times a day.
Plus, it is teaching them action and consequence.
You make a big mess you knew you were not suppose to do, YOU get to clean it up.

My day is filled with the word "why"
Why do they play with the salt shaker and waste the salt all over the kitchen floor.
Why do they drink all the milk and put the empty carton back in the fridge?
Why do they do the worst job on there chores, knowing mom is just gonna get mad?
Why do they have to pull out every piece of clothing from their duffle bag (see a previous post) and not put it all back, making me wash clothes that have never been worn?
Why do they insist on making their 2 year old baby sister scream?,
Why do they not unloading the dishwasher like Mom asked 10 times, just 10 minutes before?
Then again...
Why do they decide to change Emma stinky diaper without being asked?
Why do they decide to clean up the front yard that Dad never asked them to do while he is asleep on the couch?
Why do they happily watch their baby sister cartoons all day without complaining?
Why am I so lucky?
Some answers can not be explained.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

It's good to know that boys are the same now as they were 20 years ago. The do grow up to be wonderful men, great husbands and they love their mothers a lot. Hang-in-there, Katie, you're doing marvelous!