Sunday, November 9, 2008

So sad.

I can't even express how sad I am today.
I lost my wedding ring and I have no idea where it could be.
I only remember having it in Sacramento last weekend.
It was too big. And I know that I was taking a chance of losing it if I wore it on my ring finger.
I have been wearing it on my middle finger because it was too big.
It is the only jewelry Jeff has given me.
And it is the only thing I want to wear.
I am not much for jewelry anyway, but this ring he gave me.
This ring he saved for. This ring he gave his whole first pay check too. He wasn't working when we got engaged but he got a job right away.
It was not very expensive. I picked it out at Best for $299 plus tax and sizing. (They don't have those stores anymore, I know I am old.)
I have had that ring for 14 1/2 years
I doubt Jeff will be as upset as I am. He really wanted to get a "bigger" ring for me anyway. I just don't want to spend the money.
I want my ring.
What I can't get over is the fact that I didn't even realize it was missing until I was at church and I noticed another lady's ring. I went right to my finger...it was like slow motion. No joke.
Like I knew it wasn't there, but I had to look anyway.
It was not there.
So where did it fall off? I mean, wouldn't I notice it coming off?
I didn't feel it at all. I haven't felt it for days and I can't believe I didn't notice.
I am really upset with my self that I didn't even notice it was gone.
The only thing I wish I could take with me when I die.
And it is gone.
And I was gonna ask for Christmas to get it sized to fit.
It is just a thing right?
It's just a thing.

5 comments:

Kasi said...

oh Katie, I am so sorry!! I would feel the same way. I hope you find it!

Kaci said...

I am so sorry!! Don't feel so bad that you didn't realize it wasn't there...I have removed mine for kneading dough and forgot to put it back on for weeks because I didn't notice it was missing. I hope that you find it or get a really nice BIG one to make up for it...It is just a thing, but I understand the importance/significance of that "thing".

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about this Katie. I can only imagine how you feel. Your boys really were good in Primary today. I wasn't making that up. Of course my Caleb was chatting with Sammy during my sharing time so I just told Caleb to be quiet and then they were fine. I hope you find your ring.

Mary Child said...

Oh my gosh Katie, I can TOTALLY empathize with you on this one. I took my ring off at the gym once to use a machine (it hurt to keep my ring on), and I'd done this a million times before, but this particular day I got up and forgot all about it. I didn't notice until that night (while scrapbooking), and I raced back to the gym, but it had been closed for hours. I cried all night, got up the minute the gym opened the next morning only to discover it was gone.

I totally mourned the loss, and I couldn't believe how attached to it I was. Anyway, long story short, I did eventually get it back, after the video surveillance showed a gym member turning it in at the front counter (an employee had stolen it), and once I filed grand theft charges, the ring magically reappeared. The whole process took three weeks though, and even though the gym had agreed to "replace" it, I was still heartbroken. I wanted MY ring. The ring I'd worn when we were married; the ring I'd worn when all my babies were born- I was SO ATTACHED to it, it was ridiculous! So I COMPLETELY understand being attached to an object and feeling like you lost a little piece of your past.

I'm SO SORRY Katie! I hope somehow your ring will miraculously reappear like mine did. And don't feel weird about grieving the loss even though it was just a "thing."

Carrie said...

I get how you feel. I have a necklace Mia and Marc got me. It was small and super cheap but I didn't take it off for years. Finally the chain had broken and fell off. I was luncky and tore apart my whole house and found it in the washer. It must have broke when I took off a shirt or something.