Monday, March 23, 2009

FHE Attempt

Tonight...wait I have to go back.
The other day...Friday I think it was... I decide to clean my room. As I was cleaning I found my Patriarchal Blessing. It reminded me of one of my really important jobs as a mother.
Teaching my children the gospel.
I saw it again on Sunday after church.
It made me think (stop laughing, it is not that scary) ...about the boys complaining about having to go to church for the millionth Sunday in a row....how could I change that?
And so today, after making brownies so I could taste the batter, I decided the brownies could be used as a Family Home Evening treat.
So what lesson could I do.
I look through my stash of preplanned lessons and decided it just didn't fit for today.
I got a really cool email from my mom about missionary work in Afghanistan. Soldiers baptising in a pool. (ask me and I will forward it to you. Very cool)
So I got the idea that we could pull out Jeff's missionary scrapbook and he can talk about it. And express how important it is to go to church and not complain about it. It is part of being prepared to be a missionary.
I even got dinner done early. Kitchen cleaned, homework done.
Jeff was irritating me so much I just wanted to strangle him. (right now I can't tell you why, I don't remember)
The boys were cranky, Emma was screaming. It seemed like we were gonna have a grand time.
We proceeded on with a prayer and scripture.
After we talked about the things you need to do to prepare to be a missionary, we opened the scrapbook.
A huge hit.
I almost cried (I mostly blamed the pregnancy hormones). I am so glad I put that book together. Jeff really enjoyed showing it to the boys too.
I showed them all the email from my Mom, and not planning that the song, "Army of Helaman" was on in the back ground as Jeff read the email out loud. Yes, I got goosebumps and tried not to cry.
We ended with a prayer and had dessert.
Not ever having FHE growing up, or doing it in my home as often as I should, I think I did pretty good.
Hopefully next week, will be just as good.
Any ideas?

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hi Katie! I want that story your mom sent you! Sounds like you had a great FHE! I am proud of you friend for going thru with it even if you were having a little bit of a crummy time before! Amazing what the spirit can do, huh? Guess what! I get to go to Sac this weekend!! Yeah!