Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tasty Tuesday - Janalee Smith's Chinese Chicken Salad

This recipe I got from my old ward.
The Eastern Ave ward in the Sacramento East Stake. (I am not sure if they still call it that).
The Young Women in this ward were having a fundraiser and put together a cook book.
I have never been fond of this salad.
It was the cabbage.
It just smelled funny and did not taste like lettuce.
But at an Relief Society Activity Janalee Smith made this salad. I tried it.
It was so good.
When my sister got married, we used this recipe.
My kids were eating it. Okay so it was only Sammy and I think Nathan.
So simple and so yummy.

The other day while strolling through Safeway, I saw they had cabbage on sale.
So even though it is not summer, it just sounded good.
Jeff got excited and so that is when I decided to make it.

Janalee Smith Chinese Chicken Salad
1 package chicken flavor Top Ramen
1 small head of cabbage (chopped)
4 green onions
1 cup slivered almonds
2 tbsp sesame seeds (toasted)
2 cups chicken (cooked, chilled, and shredded)
Dressing:
Flavor packet from Top Ramen
1/2 cup oil ( i used vegetable oil)
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
Remove flavor packet from Top Ramen and reserve for dressing.
Crush Ramen noodles (Uncooked) and set aside.
Toss together cabbage, green onions, almonds, sesame seeds, and chicken.
Add noodles then toss again. Add dressing just before serving.
See, I told you, simple and very easy.

1 comment:

gigharborscrapper said...

My DH makes this salad, but he toasts the sesame seeds, with about a pound of butter, almonds and the top ramen noodles..He usually doubles the recipe because I can eat these crunchies like candy. We HAVE to bring this each time we have a party with our Asian friends or we can't come : )
Valerie