Thursday, March 5, 2009

Grocery Shopping

Okay, My favorite day of the month is the day we get our groceries.
Today and every 1st Thursday of the month we have to go get food for our family.
We can not shop here in the town.
We have a Safeway, a WalMart, and Grocery Outlet (to me it is like a "thrift store" grocery store, too long of a story to explain), we also have a IGA grocery store that has probably been her since the town was established. They are way expensive and over priced.
I mean you probably can save money here. I am just not patient enough to figure it out.
So we clean out the van, we load up the coolers and head an hour and a half away to Reno.
They have everything you need.
If we need to hit Target, or Church book store, or scout store, any shopping that does not require getting food, we hit first.
But today Sam's club was first. (because it is the furthest from where we came in.)
Here is my Sam's club list:
1 chicken nuggets
Chicken patties
Waffles -
1 Vanilla wafers -
1 Cheez-its
Fishy Crackers -
1 Club crackers -
1 Chex Mix
1 Fruit snacks -
1 Pizza -
3 cases of Water -
4 big boxes Cereal -
2 Hamburger -
1 Ham (every other month)
1 Hot dogs -
3 Eggs - flat -
10 gallons Milk
2 Bacon -
1 Granola Bars
1 Fiber one bars
1 Oatmeal
Oreos -
Cup a noodle soup
Laundry soap -
2 Shredded cheese -
Paper cups -
Ziplock bags
Scrapbook tape
And sometimes it varies. Every other month I need paper plates, and cleaning wipes. And a few things I can't remember.
This month's budget for Sam's was $350. We went over by $18. And only because we bought Emma a dress.

Then we get gas at Sam's. Because today it was $2.07 a gallon. (here where we live, the cheapest is $2.20).
Next is lunch. Today we ate at Sam's: a drink and 2 slices of pizza is about $3 each. Emma had a hot dog. Well half of a hot dog, they were huge.

And then to Winco.
Here is my Winco list:
2 Potatoes -
4 Pretzels - (bag of pretzel sticks)
4 Frozen Chicken
2 Gram crackers
6 Green beans -
6 canned corn
1 mayo
4 Tomato sauce -
4 Tomato paste -
2 Canned tomatoes
1 black beans
1 Chick peas
Taco sauce packet
2 Italian season packet
6 Pears
6 peaches
2 Apples sauce
6 Spaghetti O’s
6 Beef stock
6 Chicken broth
Cream of celery
6 Cream of Chicken
6 Cream of Mushroom
4 Spaghetti sauce
2 Cork screw
Large Egg noodles
Spaghetti noodles
2 Brownie mix
2 White cake mix
1 Sugar
1 Flour
1 Powdered sugar
Chocolate chips
2 Oil
Onion salt
Salt
Real Vanilla
Quick oats
3 fruit snacks Emma
2 Beef sausage
4 Cream cheese
Slice cheese
Breakfast sausage
2 Tub of butter
6 Margarine
2 Sour cream
6 butter
Tator tots
French Fries
3 Frozen Corn
10 Juice
2 Tortillas
Total budget today was - 200.00. But we went over by $18. I know...not bad.
Okay, so there was of course a few things that I didn't get on my list and a few things that were not on my list that I bought. Does that happen to you?
All this food, added to what we already have in our pantry and a small budget for fresh veggies and fruit, (which is not worth traveling and hour and a half to get in Reno, I just get it at Safeway here in town).
This all has to last a month. What we don't use and what I always buy is added to our food storage. I mean, our pantry is our food storage. (I could go on and on about that)
Our budget has been shortened by a pay reduction thanks to the stupid Governor of California.
It is working out okay.
Then we hit Wendy's for a treat. A frosty.
We have been doing this for 3 years now and it is a tradition to go to Wendy's.
I even put it in the budget.

My favorite part is when I get all the food put away and I can look in my cupboards and see all the food. It is nice not to feel like Old Mother Hubbard. It is also nice not having to go to the store once a week to replenish. I also do a dinner menu for the month. It helps me make my grocery list.
These are pictures of my pantry or pantries. They are not together because of lack of a good space.

This above is our snack pantry.
You have to ask to eat the food in here and some of it is for school lunches.

This above is our main pantry.
This is where most of the food goes.

This above is the water Jeff has to take to work. He can't drink the water where he works. (he refills them sometimes) and we recycle the rest.

This above is our 2nd refrigerator.

We store our milk, bread, cheese, eggs and lunch meat.
Above we have a ton of Deer meat someone gave us. Gag me.
This is the stuff I forgot I had already and bought more anyway.
Food storage!!!!

Above is more extras.
This above is our beloved freezer.
Juice frozen veggies, chicken, meat, (more deer meat, gag!) and waffles and stuff.

Jeff said today as he looked at all our new food, "It feel like a grocery store." and I agree. But just with the stuff we buy.

If you have any questions or if you think I am insane.
Leave a comment. I would love to read them.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are on the ball. I need to do better. Here is a tip. Stop buying bottled water. Scott has two hiking type water bottles like the ones at REI, and a gallon size bottle for the summer. Just an idea.

Kaci said...

I think you are awesome!! I am trying to get on a better grocery schedule. I have been only going once a week and boy am I spending less!! You are a great example!!! Thanks for sharing.

T.M. said...

That is a really good way to save money. Plan out the meals of the month and go and get the ingredients all at one time!

Troop 1309 said...

Great job! I am going to Reno this weekend. I got some great deals at Safeway today, lots of internet printable coupons.

Saturday IGA is having a good produce sale. Get there early for the best deals!

gigharborscrapper said...

Oh man we find all kinds of good things at the grocery outlet. Lots of time they have premier items that didnt' sell in the regular stores but you have to really get on it if you like it. We bought some black pepper shrimps that were out of this world...bought all 20 + boxes they have!!
here's to dinner tonight..
Valerie

Katie said...

I know, Jeff should probably take refillable cups. But when he runs out where can he fill up. He drinks 5 or more a day.
Plus, the convience is nice. If need to grab on before I run out he door. It is worth the $15 a month it costs for us to buy the water. I guess I should rephrase my comment about the Grocery Outlet. The one here is interesting. Not at all liek the ones in Sacramento. I just have bought to many things there in the past that was a waste of money. And I always spend more when I get there on non-food items.
I always forget abput coupons.
I was gonna add my dinner Menu today, If I ever get a chance. I need to clean.

Danielle said...

you did good on that budget

Anonymous said...

All I can say is... WOW!
I can't even imagine drinking that much milk! We use 1 gallon/week, maybe a little more if I am baking.
Now, do you freeze any of the milk?
Oh, and I love Sam's!

Mary Child said...

Oh my gosh Katie, I do the EXACT SAME THING!!! I only shop at Sam's and Winco for food, and I get our produce at a farmer's market on Madison and Manzanita; I usually spend $12 a week on fruits and veggies- where I would spend $30 a week or more if I bought our produce at Safeway! I just can't imagine having to drive an hour and a half one way to do that shopping though... CRAZY!

The good thing is that it forces you to be organized, and it appears that you definitely are!

I would LOVE a second fridge; we have an extra freezer in the garage, and the biggest refrigerator that Sam's Club sells and still it is not enough! Whenever Safeway runs meat on sale I LOAD UP, so the freezer in the garage is always full, and our fridge in the house is bursting at the seams. I cook a lot of soups and stews that we eat throughout the week for lunch, and also I always have spaghetti sauce and shredded meat on hand for burritos, quesadillas, or tacos, and then whatever other leftovers are in the fridge. Our frige is always TOO FULL! We hardly ever eat out because we simply can't afford it. Our house payment is ASTRONOMICAL, and every penny is saved for that...

On a totally unrelated note, I wanted to thank you for your sweet comment on my last post. It makes me feel good to have support and validation from friends, because I have serious issues!!! I honestly, truly feel like I don't have any talents, so you have no idea how good your compliments make me feel. Blogging has helped my self-esteem SO MUCH, and just feeling that connection with other Moms who are in the same boat I am, it has just changed my whole outlook on life! I know that sounds lame, but I'm so much more motivated now, and WAY less depressed. Anyway, thanks Katie. I have loved getting to know you through blogs, and really wish we would have hung out when you lived in Sac. Thanks for droppin' in every now and then; I always love to see your comments.

Have a great day!