Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Tree Tradition

Every year we go and cut down a tree.
I have been doing it since I was a teenager. We would drive an hour to a Christmas tree farm and my Mom would take, what seemed like hours, picking out her 3 top favorites. And each year it was one of the kids turn to pick the final one.
My Dad joked the entire time, that mom was taking forever. When we returned Mom made hot chocolate and toast. Oh man, the best was dipping the hot, buttered toast into the hot chocolate. yummy!
Jeff and I joined my family for the first 2 years we were married. And as my sisters and brothers got married it turned out to be this big thing. Every first Saturday of December is when you HAVE to get your tree.
We would all meet at my parents house all bundled up (like it was cold and snowing). We would listen to Christmas music and sing the song my mom hated the most. Mele Kalikimaka by Bing Crosby at the top of our lungs. Just to annoy her.
After 3 years the Christmas tree farm closed.
We were stuck looking for another place. We found a few but the families started to dwindle when the trees got further away and the cost became too much.
We started getting our tree in town and at Lowe's (the best place really, our trees lastest forever).
Since we have moved up here we have been cutting our tree down for a mere $10 tree cutting permit. yes, you read that right, $10 and it is only 30 minutes away.
The choices aren't as great as a tree farm, but it is the experience that matters to me.
So since yesterday was the 1st Saturday of December. We went. We left later than planned due to Jeff working and the boys not getting their chores done.
My whole house smells like the forest.
We are keeping the tradition.... I picked three favorites, this year it was Nathan's turn to pick the final one. Jeff complained it was taking for ever, and we returned home to have hot chocolate. No toast this year, we had frozen pizza instead. (No dipping. Gross!)

Another tradition I have when we get our tree, Jeff puts the lights ion the tree. (He is the master.) And then I let the boys play with the decorations and decorate however they want. Then after they have ALL gone to bed.
I stay up late and watch my favorite Christmas movie, Scrooge (the musical) and decorate it the way I want it.
It hasn't happened yet. I have to fix a few ornaments and make a few new ones. I was hoping to get that done today.
I can't wait to decorate my tree!!!!
*sigh...... the tree smells so good.

3 comments:

The Petty Family said...

My family went to the SAME Christmas tree farm every year! I remember going as a little girl. My grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins were all there too. When us kids started getting married, my parents broke off from the bigger family and we went together as just our family. I've NEVER missed a year of going to the christmas tree farm....until yesterday :( My Mom was nice enough to remember me. She called while at the top of the mountain. But I'm morning the loss of my most beloved tradition. (Sniff)
To make matters worse...it's SO dry here that real christmas trees become "kindling" very quickly. So yesterday we went a bought a fake tree. Can you believe that!?! I've always said I'd NEVER have a fake tree. No forest smell for me :(
I HATE change!!

Katie said...

if you wanna see pictures of our adventure. you can check out my other blog.

gigharborscrapper said...

I LOVE this tradition. I wish we did it, but alas, I have to be realistic and my fake tree gives me the flexibility to put it up when I want and to avoid any unpleasant comments from the peanut gallery (husband). So glad you guys had fun.
Valerie